From the 1st October 2019, some international visitors and transit passengers must have an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) and pay an International Visitor Conservation Levy (IVL) before travelling to New Zealand.
What does the ETA and IVL plan to achieve?
It will help improve the way travellers are assessed before they arrive in New Zealand, ultimately helping to reduce the time needed for border clearance and strengthen border security.
The IVL is the ideal way for travellers to contribute directly to the tourism industry and will help to protect, conserve and enhance New Zealand’s unrivalled natural beauty.
Who needs an ETA?
It’s required to obtain an ETA before you travel to New Zealand if:
- You are visiting or in transit from a visa waiver country – Please click here to view all the visa waiver countries
- You are travelling on a passport from a visa waiver country or a transit visa waiver country, and you will be in transit through Auckland International Airport – Please click here to view all transit visa waiver countries
- You are a cruise ship passenger, regardless of your nationality
- You are a permanent resident of Australia
Who does not need an ETA?
You won’t need an ETA to travel to New Zealand if you:
- Already hold a valid New Zealand visa
- Are a New Zealand citizen travelling on a New Zealand passport or a foreign passport with an endorsement (for example, if you’re a permanent resident or citizen of New Zealand)
- Are an Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport
When do I need to get my ETA and pay for my IVL?
Request your ETA as far in advance as possible before your trip to New Zealand. If you do not hold an ETA when you check in for your flight or cruise, you will not be permitted on board. Be aware it can take up to 72 hours to approve your ETA.
From July 2019 you can request your ETA and pay your IVL, you can do this one of two ways:
- Download the New Zealand app to your mobile phone
- Complete the form on the New Zealand website
Please note, both the app and website form will be available from July 2019.
How much will this cost?
An ETA costs:
- NZD$9 for requests submitted using the app
- NZD$12 for requests submitted using the website form.
Your IVL will cost NZD$35 for each person travelling to New Zealand and is charged in the same transaction as your ETA.
Your ETA and IVL are valid for multiple visits and up to 2 years. If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with our specialists on 0118 956 6464.